~ WHERE ~
From the comfort of your homeâ€¦ Space in the workplace or simply when out and about.
~ WHEN ~
Any day that is good for you place a call to your elected official to promote the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment.
~ WHAT ~
A campaign that engages folk to petition the U.S. Senate to join the U.S. House in removing the deadline imposed on the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA).
~ WHO ~
We focus on on U.S. Senator Charles Schumer at (202) 224-6542 calling on him to bring H.J. Res. 17/S.J. Res. 1 to the floor for a vote. And U.S. Senator Richard Durbin, Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee asking him to hold hearings on S.J. Res 1 – Removal of the Deadline on the ERA. \ with weekly calls to (202) 224-3121 [capitol swithboard] or (202) 224-7703 [direct line], and tweets, and comments on his website. Please see Senator Durbin’s website for more thoughts. But don’t stop there call the other members of the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary and petition the same as well as asking them to co-sponsor.
~ HOW ~
After calling Senators Durbin and Schumer, reach out to your circle of 10 family members friends, co-workers, colleagues, and peers to call their offices and other members of the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary remind them to call their 10 and have them do the same and so on and so. Till everyone is calling upon the US Senate demanding hearings.
If 1 x 10 = 10 then 10 x 10 = 100 then 100 x 100 = 1000 then 10 x 1000 = 10,000 then 10 x 10,000 = 100,000 10 x100,000 = 1,000,000 and so on and so forth.
How to make your call to the U.S. Senate.
Identify yourself and state (zip code works), that you are calling in your individual capacity, and reference the organizations that you are either in a leadership role, a member of ________ organization/network or working alongside. Be sure to ask that they keep a tally and add your name and various other groups that you are calling on behalf of to the count. Then state in your own words ( see the below example as a guide) that you are petitioning them to:
Â Example – A succinct message:
Good Day my name is _____________ and I am calling Majority Leader Schumer petitioning his support of the passage of the ERA into the US Constitution and requesting that as the Majority Leader of the Senate expediently move for a floor for a vote o H.J. Res. 17/S.J. Res 1. Speak to his colleagues enlisting their support, and to Vote Yea! I am asking this because…
Good Day my name is _____________ and I am calling Senator Durbin petitioning his support of the passage of the ERA into the US Constitution and requesting that as Chair of the Judiciary he expediently hold a hearing on S.J. Res. 1 and then move it to the floor for a vote. Speak to his colleagues enlisting their support; and Vote Yea! I am asking this because…
Be sure to give at least one reason as to why this is important to you, a personal antidote/story is compelling. Here are several good issues that the Equal Rights Amendment will address:
1. Equal Pay for Equal Work; and
2. Domestic Violence; and
3. Healthcare (i.e. Reproductive Health; Pharmaceutical Research and Development, Physician & Hospital Care, etc.); and
4. Education (Early Childhood Development Programs, Access to Arts & Sciences, Ongoing and Continuous Learning Programs; and
5. Employment Opportunities in both the Public and Private Sectors and not limited to Civil or Government at Careers; and
6. Prejudice and Racism how without the Equal Rights Amendment the hidden face of prejudice and racism will continue to be masked and that piecemeal legislation does not directly address these concerns; and
7. Economic growth, being that single mothers or women that are head of the households spend their monies on their families the more money they earn the more they have to spend as well as invest or build new enterprises, thereby building economic growth for the USA in the process.
Conclude the message with a thank you and leave your email and phone number and zip code at the end of your call.
Let’s maximize our collective power for the ERA by engaging individual and organizational strength. Engage your network. Engage the U.S. Senate.